Thursday, January 9, 2014

My Word for 2014.....

 
 
 

A couple months ago I started to reflect upon My Word for 2013; Communion. I realized that, for me, 2013 was truly a year of communion with God, friends and family. Communion is not just about the receiving...the bread & wine. For me, it was and is about a purposeful interaction with others. About drawing closer to God, seeking Him, knowing Him more deeply and fully. The daily embracing and sharing, and communicating. It's a journey. It remains in progress.


Upon reflection, I realized that communion did not need a magic plan - a "how to" plan - in order for me to be in communion. Being aware and having the desire to claim the word throughout the year naturally encouraged me to gravitate towards activities, and thoughts that would help me live my chosen word....to live it. Communion happened to me and for me in ways that I could not have predicted in the beginning of 2013. Communion, with family and more importantly with God, changed me. The beauty of communion with God and then with others enveloped me in wondrous ways.


 
 

For 2014, I hope the same will hold true. That my desire to claim my word throughout the year will not go far from my being. That by keepng my word in focus during the ups and downs of life -the craziness of life - I will be changed. And more importantly, that through me, God will impact those around me. The type of impact and change? I have no clue; that's for God to work out.


I know, there will be many times, more than I am willing to admit, when my word for 2014 will be a difficult to keep in focus. Difficult because it may sound like an easy word, but truly it is not. Sure, many times it will be easy, but I also know many times it will not come to me naturally. This word is not an easy one to truly claim and live as Jeaus commands. A tangible reminder may be a helpful aide in maintaining focus. A reminder in the form of a pendant for my word; a tangible piece hanging around my neck. And in the form of a journal, a scrapbook of sorts.


A couple of months ago, I thought there was another word meant for me. I was pretty set on it until a different word started to come to mind. Both were similar, in a way. But THIS word, it came to my mind and just sat there making itself known gently but yet persistently. I would read scripture, and there it was. I would read a book, and there it was. I would be in the middle of conversations, and there it was. It was surrounding me, and convicting me. At first, it sounded too fluffy, too simplistic to be My Word for 2014. But as the word started to take hold of me, I realized, simple and fluffy it was not. Then, I innocently clicked on a link to an article and it hit me. It became very clear that I could no longer ignore it. THIS was my word for the year.


It is not passive. It will take me out of my comfort zone. It will require different responses from me in actions, words, thoughts, AND attitude. THIS word, actually, is two words. The first word gives the focused drive of living out the second word. And that article I read, it gave me the idea for the first word {pursue}...to give myself direction for my first word...to unleash it.


So. It's taken me almost three to four weeks to go public with My Word for 2014. It's taking me seven-plus paragraphs to put My Word into writing. Why? Oh,because the power of this word, and the responsibility to live it out the way Jesus lived it and commands of us...well...that is rather intimidating. It's scary. Once I acknowledge My Word aloud to you and truly to myself, I then own it, and cannot ignore. How can I continue to fluff over this word? I cannot.




My Word for 2014 is... {pursue} LOVE.




 


My Word for 2014 will have me purposefully, intentionally, actively, and consciously pursue love...to seek love in my actions, words, thoughts, and attitude towards others, and circumstances of life. To live as Jesus modeled. To live as he commanded; "love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself." (Luke 10:27)


{pursue} LOVE


To "be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God." (Ephesians 5:1-2)


{pursue} LOVE


"By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” (John 13:35)


{pursue} LOVE


"To sum up, all of you be harmonious, sympathetic, brotherly, kindhearted, and humble in spirit" (1Peter 3:8)


{pursue} LOVE


"with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love" (Ephesians 4:2)


{pursue} LOVE


With God's help, this pursuing of love will draw me closer to Him, and show me how to pursue love towards others in my actions, words, thoughts, and attitude...even in those moments when love is furthest from my mind.




(This link, Your Most Corageous Resoultion for 2014, is the article that helped clarify that LOVE was my word)


 

1 comment:

Leslie Darnell said...

you are the first person I know who has articulated for me how having a word for the year actually works for them--not that I've asked, but I was actually planning to because more and more of my girl friends are choosing words for the year.


I love that you found communion in so many wonderful people/places last year, may that continue into 2014. And I think your selection for this year is awesome! You are such an encouragement to me in your spiritual pursuits. I hope you will find yourself uplifted this year, I know others will find themselves uplifted by knowing you.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin