Friday, December 30, 2011

Bookish Plans for 2012


Books...books...books. I love books - no surprise there.  Several years back, I discovered the book blogging world, and oh my, the world of books opened up to me so much more than I could have dreamed.  With the discovery of the book blogging world, book challenges became a part of my reading life.  Over the last several years, I have learned, I do not complete challenges - for the most part. Why?  I  just cannot abide by a list especially since my reading moods overtake.

bar47


The following are my bookish plans for 2012.
For each plan, I will briefly explain my intent.



Books
My 2012 Book Manifesto


Logan at Rememorandom posted about his 2012 Book Manifesto. I like his plan, and it fits well with where I am at in my thoughts on wanting to decrease accumulation into my life. Also, it fits well with where I truly would like to focus my bookish life.


I am going to take Logan’s lead.


My 2012 Book Manifesto.

bar47


The following three challenges, bookclub, and other reading will keep in line with my manifesto.





2012tbrbutton2-2
2012 TBR Pile Challenge hosted by Adam at Roof Beam Reader.


I have HUGE TBR pile, and I did not do very good with decreasing said pile during 2011. I am determined to decrease it during 2012. This TBR challenge is the motivation, and the help that I need to hopefully stay focused on my 2012 Book Manifesto.


Adam has set up specific guidelines for this challenge. I like these guidelines because it forces me to choose older books that have been sitting around waiting for some reading love.


For further information and to see my book list for this challenge - please see my 2012 TBR Pile Challenge  page.





2012-TBR-Reading-Challenge-Button

Yes, yes....I am signing up for two TBR type challenges.  Why?  They have their distinct differences which I think will help me stay motivated to read through my TBR pile rather than the newest book rave of the year.


The 2012 TBR PILE Reading Challenge is  hosted by several bloggers, and they have come up with a way to keep motivation going throughout the year. At the end of each month one of the hosts will post a wrap-up. Every wrap-up will have it's unique theme, a mini-challenge, a giveaway and place for you to link up your reviews from this month. For each review you link up, you will get one entry in a drawing of one book of choice from Book Depository. It's open to INTERNATIONALS. For participating in the mini-challenge you will get +1 entry.


This Challenge is Hosted by:
Evie from
Bookish - @SeoEvie
Nicole from
All I Ever Read - @Nicoleabouttown
Bonnie from
Hands and Home – @HandsHomeBlog
Donna from
Book Passion For Life - @BookPforLife
Caitlin from
WatchYA Reading – @caitlingss
Rie from
Mission To Read - @missiontoread
Vicky from
Books, Biscuits & Tea - @alouetteuette
Christa from
Hooked On Books - @ChristasBooks
Jenna from
Fans Of Fiction - @fansoffiction
Angel from
Mermaids Vision - @mermaidvisions


For further information and  to see which level I chose for this challenge as well as my book list - please see my 2012 TBR PILE Reading Challenge page.





classicschallenge

A Classics Challenge is hosted by November’s Autumn.
Not only do I want 2012 to be the year I concentrate on my TBR pile of books, I also want to read more classics than I did during 2011.  Besides, this one looks fun as November’s Autumn has added a neat twist.


For further information and to see my classics reading list - please see my A Classics Challenges page.





bookclub

Reading To Know Bookclub
I do love bookclubs, and I do enjoy reading Carrie’s blog -
Reading to Know.  When I saw her post for a bookclub, I was intrigued.  I looked over the list of books, and thought....I am interested...this should be fun and a challenge.  Beyond that, I do not feel any pressure to read every book.


Here is a bit about the bookclub:
I asked a handful of other bloggers that I know fairly well to each take a month next year and choose a book for the rest of us to read together. These other bloggers will host the bookclub discussion each month here at Reading to Know.
Again, each month we'll read and talk about their selected choice! Each individual will lead the discussion but the common meeting ground for the group will be here.


The Books:
January -
Beyond Opinion by Ravi Zacharias.
February -
Running Away to Home by Jennifer Wilson
March -
The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan
April - Any title by P.G. Wodehouse of your choosing
May -
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
June -
A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton Porter
July - Any book in the Chronicles of Narnia series (as part of the
Chronicles of Narnia Reading Challenge hosted annually at Reading to Know)
August -
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making, by Catherynne M. Valente
September -
Professionalizing Motherhood by Jill Savage
October -
Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe
November -
Jewel of Persia by Roseanna White
December -
A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens


For further information and to join up - please see Reading To Know Bookclub.

bar47



Beyond all that I have listed, I do plan on participating in group reads that come my way that gain my interest. I also will continue with my Wheel of Time buddy read that I have going with Suey at It’s All About Books.  There are also smaller challenges that occur throughout the year that I may join.


I should not forget to mention - I will be reading something in regards to the Bible. Either, reading through the Bible using some sort of plan, OR reading through Charles Swindoll’s Great Lives series.


Whew! This is all enough for me. I am certain some spontaneous books will be thrown in throughout 2012.



Happy Reading to you all during 2012!




18 comments:

Jenny said...

Looks like a plan! I need to work on the TBR stack too!

ibeeeg said...

The TBR stack is never ending. I wonder if I will ever know what it feels like to not have any books laying around waiting their turn for a read. Probably not.

Good luck to you with your TBR pile.



--
-Deanna-

Polishing Mud Balls

teddyree said...

I have to do a round up post for 2011 and make some serious decisions on challenges for 2012. I did complete quite a few this year but I'm not getting through any of my already owned reading stack so I've checked out the 2012 tbr pile challenge and I'm considering the 'friendly hug' level. OK off to make some decisions lol 

Nise' said...

Best of luck to you in your chosen challenges.  I am challenging myself to the Game of Throne series in 2012.  Madame Tussuad was really good!

ibeeeg said...

Making book reading choices is fun but time consuming, or at least for me it is.
Look forward to seeing what you choose off of your TBR pile.



--
-Deanna-

Polishing Mud Balls

ibeeeg said...

Have fun with your Game of Throne series challenge. I loved those books, and whipped through them in a matter of a few months. Although, I still need to purchase and read the last book.

Michelle Moran is a fabulous author, is she not? Glad you liked Madame Tussuad.



--
-Deanna-

Polishing Mud Balls

logankstewart said...

Best of luck, ibeeeg!  Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried is one I hope to get to for 2012, too, as I've been intrigued by it since I read a sample in college.  Oh, and enjoy Mere Christianity, especially the chapter on Time.  Fascinating.

Most of all, good luck with all the reading in 2012.  

ibeeeg said...

I sure do hope that I complete this challenge. All of the books interest me - of course. I do particularly look forward to The Things They Carried. While I have been wanting to read Mere Christianity for several years now, your "teaser" of sorts about the Time chapter has me far more curious. Thanks. :)

logankstewart said...

Oh, definitely.  The way Lewis explained Time and its relation to God was brilliant, and I've used his metaphor a time or two when explaining something else that's related.  And, best of all, with Mere Christianity, you could get by with reading the chapters out of order as individual essays if you'd like.  I don't think you'll have any problems reading it that way.

ibeeeg said...

Oh thanks for the tip about reading chapters out of order. That is a cool idea, yet, slightly against the flow of my reading style. :)
You certainly are making me far more excited about reading Mere Christianity. Thanks.

By the way, did you notice under the 2012 TBR PILE Reading Challenge that I have listed Just Do Something. I am looking forward to that book.

Suey said...

Wow, that all makes my head spin! I will be joining you in the classics challenge... and I will read from my own books, but I don't think I will join a challenge for that one this year, even though they look quite fun. I'm glad you plan to continue with the Wheel of Time, even though we seem to be having a bit of an issue with that one lately! We can do it! :)

Anyway, good luck with all! 

ibeeeg said...

Well, the TBR lists just help to keep me focused and organized...or at least I hope that is what they will accomplish.

Ummm....yeah, we are kind of bombing on our latest read for Wheel of Time. Although, I am almost done with the book, but I will admit, I cheated a bit and read a few chapter summaries. I know, the horrors, but I had to....the book was driving me crazy. We will accomplish this goal because I greatly want to read the last book in the series not to mention the ones penned by Brandon Sanderson (I do love his storytelling).

logankstewart said...

I guess my eyes glossed over that one.  I do hope you get as much out of it as I did.  It's not for everybody, but I really, really liked it.  Enough that it made it onto my Favorites List of 2011.  If you do like it, you could consider passing it on to someone else.  A book like that deserves to travel.

ibeeeg said...

For certain, I will pass the book on to someone who has interest in it. Giving my books to others, after I read them, is part of my manifesto. :) Thanks for sending it my way.

Carl v. said...

Great bookish plans!!!  I hope to read more of the books I own as well this year while trying to do a better job of actually reading books when I buy them, or at the very least getting to them within the year that I buy them. 

ibeeeg said...

Great idea, Carl...read what you buy. That is certainly part of my TBR pile trouble - my eyes see "candy" and I want, I get, but then set aside because I am not ready to enjoy it yet. My book purchasing plan - only 12 for the year - will hopefully help change that habit.

Carl V. said...

Well, we'll see how well I do.  I have had a variation on this goal every year and it has caused me to buy less than I used to so it is a good thing, and I do read more of what I buy within a year's time of purchasing it.  But I would like those things to improve vastly in 2012.

ibeeeg said...

I am going to head over to your post. later tonight, where talked about this goal of yours, and make a comment there.

For me, I plan on keeping track of my purchases on my Book Manifesto post. I figured, public listing will hold me more accountable...maybe.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin