Monday, March 23, 2009

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon



Outlander
by Diana Gabaldon
copyright 1991


Challenge:  Outlander Challenge 2009





From back of book cover
The year is 1945, Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon-when she walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient stone circles that dot the British Isles.  Sudde
nly she is a Sassenach-an "outlander"-in a Scotland torn by war and raiding Highland clans in the year of Our Lord...1743.

Let me get this out of the way
.
.
.
.
I Loved this Book!!!
.
.
.

The first sentence
It wasn't a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance.

Outlander is fascinating story told from the view-point of Claire.
I found myself fascinated and liking Claire from the start.  I mean, gosh, she is a former combat nurse!!  As a nurse myself, and one who served in the military (Ok...nothing big there but I still was in the militaryand proud that I did serve as I did in the reserves), I am intrigued with stories that involve a combat nurse.  This facet of Claire brought in a dimension to the story that added great believability for me.  Now, that is not the only reason why I like Claire - she is a feisty, she has a sharp tongue and she truly is a compassionate woman.  I really enjoyed how she survived, how she utilized her skills, how she knew when to obey and knew when to put her own mind into decisions.  I really like Claire.

Claire is not my only reason for liking Outlander.  
I really,really,really like Jaime.

The characters are rich in personality ...some may not have a good personality but there is depth.
The story itself is rich with detail- detail in regards to the setting-Scotland in the year 1743 and the time.  The author brought me into this world, I felt it and wanted to know more.  Because of this depth, I did read Outlander at a slower pace than I normally read.  The slow pace of my reading does not by any means say the story was slow because it was not.  The story actually moved rather quickly.

Let me though say, right here and now, Outlander is also a story of love.  I read, on the author's site, that when Outlander was first published-the publisher did not know how to categorize this book.  Why?  Well, it did not fall into a classic romance novel category because it is beyond a simple Harlequin type romance...it has depth of a history story, action, it is epic.  Let me say, the love that Claire and Jaime discover is far greater than I have read in a "romance story".  I really feel that their love has many details involved...it grows. I absolutely loved how their story played on the lines of trust...honesty and commitment within the relationship.  This proves to be a huge part of who they are and how they deal with fights and stressful moments.

Outlander does have some vivid scenes that are brutal and violent.  There are also sex scenes.  Ok... let me say, I had a hard time with the brutality.  I was shocked over the use of homosexuality.  Let me also say, those areas of the story also added to the totality of the time.
The sex scenes, they are vivid.  With that said, I did not read these scenes in a Harlequin way.  I really found myself reading about passion, desire and love...a passion that is saying to me that the sex is far more than the " just having sex", "lust".  I am not sure how to adequately describe this but to leave it at this... I felt the sex captured how deeply the two are connected beyond the physical.  Beyond that, this also takes place with a husband and wife...they are married. 
There is depth.
Did I just spoil the book?  Nope, I do not think so.  I knew about these areas of the book and knowing beforehand-did.not.spoil.it.all.for.me.

I am hooked on Outlander
I am currently reading my way through the series.

I really like to read historical fiction-Outlander is incredible! 

Rating: 5/5 stars

I read this book as part of the Outlander Challenge 2009.
I first heard of Outlander from reading the review posted on the blog of Books and Movies.

2 comments:

Michele at Reader's Respite said...

Wow. This is one of the best reviews of this book I have EVER read. Wow.

You have captured the essense of this book completely. Especially the incorporation of violence and homosexuality...you are right...they are essential to the depth of the story. Nothing is glamorized...it is just presented as a sad component that would be present in any time period. Maybe that's why we love these books so much --- they are so incredibly real.

I'm still just blown away by this review!

ibeeeg said...

Michele - thanks for your kind words in regards to my review. **blush**
I agree with you, things are not glamorized. I am soooo enjoying this series. The more I read...the more I feel for and like C and J.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin