God protects. So the story goes.
There is no other answer.
We are safe. We thank God for He must be the reason that our 17-year old daughter (Eva-Marie) smelled the smoke and we did not. She woke us around 0100 saying, "I smell something funny." I immediately left the room to notice smoke filling the house and the fire alarm going off.
We did not hear the fire alarm, deep in our sleep. We did not smell the smoke, deep in our sleep.
God protects; Eva-Marie smelled the smoke.
The fire was located under our kitchen sink in the garbage can. Can you believe that? In the garbage can flames were billowing out. The cabinet doors were hot. The metal kitchen sink was burning hot. Smoke was filling our kitchen and living room and entering the bedrooms. Those bedroom doors are always closed while we sleep; a good thing as less smoke entered.
God protects; our cabinets were not yet with flames. We caught the fire just in time.
Evie and I immediately started to dump water onto the flames. The flames decreased or were extinguished - it all happened so fast - and Robert took the garbage can and put it outside our house. The back yard patio it went; Robert doused it with water from the hose. Evie and I dumped more water into the cabinet for the remaining flames left behind.
God protects; smoke and burns are horrible things.
The smoke is a troubling factor. It affected all three of us. Evie's eyes started to burn. I felt my lips start to tingle. I became worried about carbon monoxide. I went to each of the children to check and made Elliana and Grace sleep elswhere; their room had more smoke than what made me comfortable. Our house still has the lingering smoke smell, but it ould have been far worse. Robert was the most affected; waves of nausea hit, pale and clammy. I blame the smoke inhalation and the pain of the burn. His right foot was burnt. Second-degree but he cannot walk. The bottom of his foot had a huge blister, and around his foot he has several other blisters (smaller) and his heel area has what looks like one-layer of skin peeled off. In the morning, to the doctor I took him. The blister was aspirated, ointment placed, foot bandaged with instructions to change dressing twice a day, and Neosporin ointment was placed. He hobbles along, but for short durations as the pain becomes too much. Hopefully, by Monday, he will be able to walk easily and pain free with the ability to wear his work boots comfortably.
God protects; it could have been far worse.
The smoke could have caused us serious harm especially since it also was a plastic burning smoke. Burns are not fun but the damage was minimally as compared to what could have occured with melted plastic making contact with the skin. Ultimately, the cabinets could have went up in flames; the house. It was close. Thankfully Evie smelled the smoke and alerted us.
God protects; I have thanked Him numerous times.
This was our second experience with a house fire. Our second experience where one of our children alerted us to the fire. Eliazebth alerted us to our first fire on August 20,2007 and again, we were fortunate.
God has protected us; there is no other answer.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~